Apply to Become a Homeowner with Us
Dear Valued Homebuyers,
Unfortunately, on October 14th we had to close our application due to our funding
being significantly reduced by the City of Houston's Housing and Community
Development Department. It is our hope that the City of Houston will decide to
reinstate or allocate additional funding to the Houston CLT in the near future.
Please continue to check our website for updates!
Please read BEFORE you complete your application:
You MUST complete the application in its entirety. If you do not have the information requested then you can save your application and complete it at a later date. Please do not submit an incomplete or inaccurate application. Doing so could result in your application being deemed ineligible. To properly complete your application you will need the following information:
1. Gross annual income for EVERYONE in the household 18 years old and older. Income includes social security, unemployment, disability, self-employment income, part-time employment income and inconsistent income. Do NOT put your weekly, bi-weekly, year-to-date or monthly income or it will automatically result in ineligibility due to income being too low.
2. Number of people in your household AND their demographic information
3. Your credit score. Our lenders require at least a 620. If believe you do not have at least a 620 credit score we will refer you to one of our financial literacy partners that can assist you in getting your credit score up free of charge. However, you will not be able to continue with the program until you can qualify for a mortgage which requires at least a 620 credit score.
4. Monthly payments on debts (i.e. car notes, student loans, credit cards, personal loans)
5. A divorce decree if you are divorced. If you are separated you MUST provide your spouse's income and personal information in this application and to the mortgage lender even if you all are not in contact. If you can't provide your spouse's information you will then need to obtain a divorce and an official divorce decree. If you are separated and claim single to avoid providing your spouse's information, Houston CLT, City of Houston and our approved mortgage lenders have the right to terminate your application, grant approval letter or purchase contract due to the reporting of fraudulent information.
If you are deemed "ineligible" based on the information reported in your application and it is incorrect, you will need to email the staff member who sent your ineligible letter with proof of the correct information and we will reactivate your application with a new application submission date from when we receive proof of the correct information.
We will reach back out to you in 30-45 business days once your application is up for review again based on the new submission date. We are experiencing a very high volume of applications, therefore it is very important that you FULLY complete the application with the ACCURATE information on your first submission to avoid being deemed ineligible or your application being placed at the end of the line.
Houston Community Land Trust
AM I ELIGIBLE?
To qualify to buy with us, you must:
Have a gross annual household income of less than 80% AMI. Click here for the AMI Guide.
Attend an 8-hour HUD certified homebuyer education course and one of our CLT Orientation classes.
Be able to obtain a fixed-rate, 30-year mortgage from one of our approved lenders.
Have limited debt that is below Houston CLT's debt-to-income ratio limits.
Be able to contribute at least $3,000-$5,000 out-of-pocket toward closing costs (at least $350 must be in personal or IDA matched funds; other funds may be from gifts).
Maintain at least $1,000 of personal funds in reserve after closing.
Be willing and able to submit all required documentation to verify your eligibility.
Find out more on our How to Buy page.